Skip to main content

Apply for a busking and street entertainment licence

Apply for a licence to perform in regulated areas.

Published on: 8 April 2021

Last updated: 18 November 2022

How to apply

Following the passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, temporary road closures will be in place across central areas of Westminster which will impact some of the existing pitches designated for busking and street entertainment.

More information about possible road closures.

You can apply for a licence online.

Apply for a licence

Application Requirements

In order to apply for a licence you must submit the following documents:

  • application form
  • relevant application fee
  • photographic ID (including passport or driving licence) - if the applicant does not have either passport or driving licence, we will accept the long form birth certificate with a recent photograph
  • certificate of public liability insurance exceeding £2million
  • declaration of right to work in the UK
  • description of your performance activity and a description of any instruments or other equipment that may be used during the performance 

View areas where regulation applies and designated busking pitches within Westminster.

You are permitted to apply for either the busking and street entertainment licence or the busking and street entertainment licence with an additional temporary licence that permits the sale of merchandise associated with your performance.

Next steps

If successful, we will issue a busking and street entertainment licence valid for either 1 or 6 months, depending on the term sought.

You can apply for a further 1 or 6 months licence to run consecutively. You must submit the renewal application and payment online at least 2 weeks prior to the expiry of your current 1 month licence and at least 4 weeks prior to the expiry of your current 6 month licence.

For advice on applying, and to view rules and policies used to decide application, please read our standard conditions:

The Busking and Street Entertainment is regulated under the London Local Authorities Act 2000.

The sale of articles associated with performances is regulated under the City of Westminster Act 1999.

Code of conduct

As a busker and street entertainer you are subject to the code of conduct and standard conditions whilst performing on one of the designated pitches.

View the code of conduct

All holders of a temporary licences associated with busking and street entertainment licence must comply with the temporary licence conditions for the sale of goods.