Skip to main content

Assistance for private tenants and leaseholders

Where to find accommodation and what to do if you have problems with your landlord.

Published on: 8 January 2021

Last updated: 17 January 2021

Financial assistance

The cost of living in central London is outside most budgets. You should be flexible and consider accommodation in the outer parts of London, which is often cheaper.

Local Support Payments

Local Support Payments can help with costs associated with moving home. For example to cover rent in advance and deposit or to pay for furniture and white goods. Cash payments are not available. Rent in advance and deposit would be made direct to the landlord, and either good quality second hand furniture and white goods or store vouchers for specific goods are provided.

To be eligible for local support payment you must either be moving to new accommodation in Westminster or to accommodation outside the borough that we have arranged.

You must be receiving a qualifying welfare benefit and an officer from the Housing Solutions Service, Children's Services or Adult Social Care needs to endorse your online application.

Apply for Local Support Payments