Skip to main content

Apply for a Local Support Payment

You can apply for a Local Support Payment if you need help because of an emergency or crisis.

Published: 2 December 2020

Last updated: 16 May 2022

If you need help because of an emergency or a crisis, you may be entitled to a Local Support Payment (LSP).

Who qualifies for a payment

You may also qualify if you need help to remain or settle in the community. The payments are not given to you as cash. They are usually given as good quality, secondhand furniture or white goods (for example, refrigerators or washing machines) or store vouchers for specific goods. 

Before you can claim a Local Support Payment you have to: 

  • be claiming a qualifying benefit*, or about to claim one, because you are leaving care or an institution such as hospital or prison 
  • live in Hammersmith & Fulham, Kensington and Chelsea or Westminster, or have been housed in temporary accommodation elsewhere by one of these boroughs
  • not have too much in savings, and not have had more than two LSPs in the last 12 months

* Universal Credit, Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, Pension Credit, Incapacity Benefit, Disability Living Allowance, Personal Independence Payment, Attendance Allowance. 

How to apply

If you think that you may be entitled to a payment you can apply online. 

If you have had an emergency or disaster and need assistance, please call 020 7745 6464 and speak to an assessment officer. 

If you do not qualify for a Local Support Payment, we have compiled a list of other help and advice services.