Skip to main content


How we help people who are or are at risk of becoming homeless.

Help and assistance for singles

We are working with partners to proactively support people experiencing or at risk of homelessness and are proactively calling on those most vulnerable to ensure they are supported.

The earlier you contact us for assistance, the more able we are to prevent or relieve your homelessness so please contact us at the earliest opportunity.

For those experiencing (or at risk of) homelessness, please contact the Homelessness Solutions Service online and via phone to 020 7641 1000.

Alternatively you can contact our singles service directly (The Passage) via 0207 592 1000 between 10:30am and 3pm or 0207 286 7412 for the out of hours service (Monday to Friday after 5:30pm and weekends, including UK bank holidays)

The Service is located at King’s Scholars’ Passage, SW1P 1RN and is open Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday it is 10.30 until 3pm and Thursday it is 1-3pm

Both the Shelter Outreach Team and the Passage will work with our Housing Solutions Service to help to secure sustainable housing solutions for anyone facing homelessness.

You will need to provide some of the following;

  • proof of identity
  • full birth certificates or passports for all the people in your household
  • documents concerning the loss of your housing, for example: letters from your landlord or the court informing you that you must leave
  • proof of income, for example: wage slips, benefit books, P45, bank statements and savings books
  • details of where you have lived for the last five years, such as: tenancy agreements, rent books or receipts for rent , postmarked letters, bills, bank statements, medical cards
  • if relevant, documents confirming: you are married or divorced, you have custody of children, you are pregnant

We must still consider certain tests under the 1996 Housing Act (as amended by the 2002 Homelessness Act) to decide whether we have a duty to house you.

Published: 30 December 2020

Last updated: 30 November 2023