Skip to main content

Help with financial matters

Find out how you receive financial help.

Government support

It is important that you are getting the full range of financial support available to you at both a government and a local level.  

If you are of working age and have a low income, you could be entitled to Universal Credit. Support with rent is included in Universal Credit.  

If you are of pension age and struggling to manage with a state retirement pension and any other income received, you could be entitled to a top-up from Pension Credit. You could also be entitled to Housing Benefit to assist with rent. 

To help you make sure you’re not missing out, there are several free, fair and independent ‘benefits calculators’ online that will assess your specific circumstances and tell you exactly what support payments you are entitled to receive. 

Two new ‘easy read’ guides are available on the government's website: ‘Before you apply for Universal Credit' (UC3ER) and ‘How to apply for Universal Credit’ (UC4ER). These easy-read guides help people with learning disabilities understand what Universal Credit (UC) is, who can get it, and how to apply. They are available in both English and Welsh versions. 

You may also have heard about the government’s Cost of Living Payments currently being distributed nationwide. These are designed to help you if you receive certain benefits or tax credits and will be paid automatically to eligible people. During 2023/24, three separate payments adding up to a total of £900 will be made. 

Further help and guidance from the Financial Conduct Authority

Further help and advice is available from the Financial Conduct Authority on topics relating to rising costs and mortgage rates.

For more information please visit the Financial Conduct Authority website.

Published: 27 October 2023

Last updated: 27 October 2023