Skip to main content

Guide to Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Find detailed information about Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support including who is eligible to apply for it.

Living with others

If you have friends, relatives or anyone over 18 living in your home, you may receive less benefit.

These people are called 'non-dependants' and a set amount may be taken out of your benefit each week for each non-dependant who lives in your home.

Non-dependants do not include:

  • your partner
  • a child you get Child Benefit for
  • people under 18 years old
  • people in full-time education

No money will be taken out of your benefit for non-dependants if:

  • you get Attendance Allowance
  • you get the care part of Disability Living Allowance
  • you get the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment
  • you are registered blind
  • the non-dependant is a paid carer provided by a charitable or voluntary body
  • the non-dependant is under 25 years old, and on Income Support, Income based Jobseeker's Allowance or income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • the non-dependant is on state pension credit

Published: 8 December 2020

Last updated: 2 February 2021