Skip to main content

Saving energy at home

Advice and support to help make your home more energy-efficient and reduce your energy bills.

Advice for landlords

As a landlord you must make sure your rental property meets Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES). This means by law your property must have an energy performance certificate (EPC) rating of “E” or above, unless exempted.

The government have proposed that by December 2028, all existing privately rented properties will need an EPC rating of “C” or above. All new tenancies would need an EPC rating of "C" by as early as December 2025. Exemptions are proposed where the cost to meet the standard exceeds £10,000. Penalties of up to £30,000 are proposed when rentals do not meet the standard.

Read below to see what advice and support is available to both you and your tenant.

Landlord energy grant scheme

We are offering financial support of up to £10,000 to landlords of properties that are either:

  • exempt from meeting the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard although willing to meet it with grant assistance, or
  • meeting Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards but are willing to improve their property EPC rating to a ‘D’ or a ‘C.’

The pilot scheme offers eligible landlords financial support of up to £10,000 to improve the energy efficiency of their property, measured by the Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). Landlords are expected to match fund grant money, for example, a grant of £5,000 would require a matched contribution from the landlord of £5,000.

Find out more and apply.


The Ecofurb service can help you develop a whole house retrofit plan for your home and budget. Ecofurb’s retrofit coordinators can also oversee the end-to-end retrofit process. This includes choosing accredited tradespeople and making sure the whole project is delivered to specification.

The cost for an initial home survey is £400 per home. The cost for developing a detailed plan, overseeing the project and liaising with contractors is about £900 per home (subject to variation).

You can also try out Ecofurb’s online Plan Builder for free. Enter the address of any home in London to see details of the property, retrofit proposals, and indicative costs.

How-to retrofit guides

Planning requirements can make retrofitting your home seem complicated. That’s why we’re creating a series of simple ‘how-to retrofit’ guides to make it easier to understand and navigate the process.

The guides explain what permissions you may need, what issues you should consider and how you can make a successful application.

Boiler Upgrade Scheme

The Boiler Upgrade Scheme provides £7,500 towards the cost of replacing fossil fuel heating systems with a heat pump. Approved installers will apply for the grant on your behalf.

Check your eligibility for the scheme.

Energy Company Obligation (ECO) scheme

The Energy Company Obligation (ECO) is a government scheme requiring some energy suppliers to help with the cost of improving a home's energy efficiency. Suppliers are required to provide grants to pay the whole cost or some of the cost of improvements including insulation.

The scheme requires households to be low income and experiencing some kind of vulnerability or fuel poverty. Eligibility is based on the resident’s circumstances, not the landlords. To find out if you or your tenant are eligible, contact any of the obligated energy suppliers. They do not need to be your energy provider.

Find out more on the Energy Company Obligation.

VAT exemption

Between April 2022 and April 2027 the cost of purchasing and installing some home energy-efficiency improvements will be VAT exempt. This will lower the cost of certain measures by up to 20%.

The exemption is applied for by the contractors who supply and install energy efficiency and heating equipment. Ask suppliers to confirm whether VAT exemption applies to any works you are asking them to quote for.

For more information see the government advice.

Published: 24 February 2023

Last updated: 23 November 2023