Car travel, car clubs and electric vehicles
Car clubs are a great alternative to owning your own car. Under this scheme you can hire a vehicle and park it in one of many on-street locations across London. You can also hire a vehicle from a fixed location and return it to the same place later.
We are working with Zipcar to transition their whole fleet to electric vehicles as soon as possible, and no later than 2030.
Owning an electric vehicle
More and more Westminster residents are swapping their old car for an electric model. Westminster has well over 1,000 charging points across the city, with almost every resident living within a 3-minute walk of a charging point. See where all the charging points are located.
If you don’t have a charging point near you, you can request one.
There are lots of reasons to switch to electric in Westminster, besides tackling climate change. You’ll get:
- discounted on-street parking, where you pay for only the first 10 minutes
- free parking whilst using EV charging points
- a free resident parking permit for on-street parking
- no ULEZ or Congestion charge
- EV vehicles emit less noise on the street which contributes to less stressed neighbourhoods
Visit Energy Saving Trust for details about how you could save money by switching to an electric car.