Skip to main content

Sexual entertainment venues

How to apply for a license for a sexual entertainment venue.

Sexual entertainment venues (SEVs) are a category of sex establishments that provide relevant entertainment.

This category was introduced in the Policing and Crime 2009 Act (2009 Act).

To open an SEV you must apply for a licence authorising the use of the premises as a sex establishment under schedule 3 of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 (the 1982 Act) and as amended by the 2009 Act.

Applications for SEVs will be subject to our statement of licensing policy for SEV premises.

The Home Office has also produced guidance for SEVs.

Published: 20 January 2021

Last updated: 12 February 2021