Setting up a tenant management organisation
A tenant management organisation is a legal body which is developed to support council tenants and leaseholders to take on responsibility for managing the homes they live in.
A tenant management organisation is usually formed when residents of a block come together and look at the options for taking over services themselves. This is often through government funding, which supports improvement of social housing through resident involvement.
Steps to setting up a tenant management organisation
Before you can consider setting up a tenant management organisation and taking over management, you must:
- Have at least 25 properties occupied by secure council tenants within the area you would like to manage.
- Make sure the resident group (collectively and individually) has been judged to be competent by an independent agency.
- Hold a secret ballot where residents can vote if they agree or disagree with setting up a tenant management organisation. The majority must have voted ‘agree’ to start running the services.
The relationship between the council and your organisation and the services that the organisation will manage and the services retained by the council will be set out in a modular management agreement. The modular management agreement is a standard agreement provided by central government.
If a tenant management organisation is set up, you still remain as tenant or a leaseholder of the council and your existing rights are protected. The only thing that will change is that the organisation will manage the tenancy and lease on behalf of the council.
Find out more about setting up a tenant management organisation
We recommend the following organisations' websites to find out more:
- the National Federation of TMOs
- the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government
- the Confederation of Co-operative Housing
- or contact existing TMOs to ask for advice and information
If you are interested in tenant management, please contact our affordable housing and partnerships:
Call: 07715 160965
Email: [email protected]