Skip to main content

Saving energy at home

Advice and support to help make your home more energy-efficient and reduce your energy bills.

Advice for private renters

In addition to the advice for everyone, here is advice specific to private renters.

Housing standards

The Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) set a minimum energy efficiency level for domestic private rented properties. Since 1 April 2020, landlords can no longer let or continue to let properties if they have an EPC rating below E, unless they have a valid exemption in place.

Check your home’s EPC.

More information about your rights as a private renter.

Healthy homes check

We work with landlords and tenants to ensure rental properties meet Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) and will take enforcement action against the minority of landlords that do not meet their obligations.

If you are a private tenant and your home has problems with heating, poor insulation and energy efficiency, please complete our residential environmental health enquiry form, and an officer will be in touch to discuss your issue.

We welcome referrals on behalf of elderly and vulnerable residents who may be more prone to poor health as a result of poor housing.

Energy Company Obligation (ECO) scheme

The Energy Company Obligation (ECO) is a government scheme requiring some energy suppliers to help with the cost of improving a home's energy efficiency. Suppliers are required to provide grants to pay the whole cost or some of the cost of improvements including insulation.

The scheme requires households to be low income and experiencing some kind of vulnerability or fuel poverty. Eligibility is based on the resident’s circumstances, not the landlords, however landlord permission is essential. To find out if you are eligible, contact any of the obligated energy suppliers. They do not need to be your energy provider.

Find out more on the Energy Company Obligation.

Published: 24 February 2023

Last updated: 23 November 2023