Skip to main content

Apply for temporary structure, road closure or crane licence

How to apply for a licence to put building apparatus or machinery in the road or on the pavement.

You need a licence to put building apparatus or machinery in the road or on the pavement (ie on the public highway). This includes things like scaffolding, construction fencing, cranes and cherry pickers.

The type of licence you need depends on what you're putting on the highway and if you need a road closure.

Visit the our Code of Construction Practice page to see our code of standards and procedures that developers and contractors must adhere to.

Published: 7 January 2021

Last updated: 2 February 2024