Request pre-application planning advice
Find out how you can apply for pre-application planning advice for proposals that may require planning permission.
Published: 15 January 2021
Last updated: 27 January 2021
We provide planning pre-application advice for anyone considering proposals that may require planning permission or a related consent. The advice will help speed up the development process and avoid unacceptable proposals.
In addition to advice from planning officers, you can choose to also obtain specialist advice from other council services where this would help with the development of your proposal. For further details of this service, including fees, please see the Pre-application fees schedule.
We offer free advice if:
- your query is related to trees
- your proposal is related to a disabled access improvement
The benefits of pre application advice are:
- understanding how our policies will be applied to your proposal
- identifying the need for specialist input, such as from Environmental Health or Place Shaping officers, at an early stage
- assisting in the preparation of proposals for formal submission
- helping to reduce the time that you or your professional advisors spend in working up the proposals
- indicating those proposals that are completely unacceptable
Engagement with Councillors
Requests for meetings are to be made through the Cabinet Secretariat and Member Services team by emailing developermeetings[email protected].
Guidance on when the Cabinet Member for Business, Licensing and Planning and the Chairman of Planning may consider it appropriate to meet with landowners and developers is available at the link below (Note that the guidance note and meeting criteria were recently updated in December 2020).
These contact details should only be used for requests to meet Councillors and the Planning Committee Chairman on planning matters. Submission of pre-application enquiries should be made using the calculate fee and apply option.