Skip to main content

This is a new website - we welcome your feedback to help us improve it.

Planning applications

When to apply for planning permission and how to make an application.

Find out if you need planning permission

Find out if you need planning permission and what resources are available to help you make a successful application.

Request pre-application planning advice

Find out how you can apply for pre-application planning advice for proposals that may require planning permission.

Making a planning application

Please read through this page before making a planning application.

Planning application fees

Calculate your planning fees and how to pay them.

Planning performance agreements

For large or complex planning proposals, read about our use of planning performance agreements (PPAs) and associated fees.

Householder application

Apply for permission to alter or enlarge a single house.

Full planning permission

Apply for planning permission including for change of use for placing tables and chairs on the highway.

Listed building consent

Consent is required for any works to a listed building that would affect its special architectural or historic interest.

Adverts and signs

Apply for consent for a sign and find out about the advertisement control system including control of estate agents’ boards.

Prior approval and notification

Application forms and checklists including prior approval and prior notification, demolition and telecommunications.

Trees and high hedges

Find out more about Westminster's street trees and make an application for works to protected trees.

Permission in principle

Permission in principle is an alternative way of obtaining planning permission for housing-led development.

Other planning applications

After permission is granted, apply for approval of details, reserved matters, to vary conditions or make non-material amendments.

Certificate of lawfulness application

Apply for this certificate when you wish to clarify that an existing or proposed use/development is lawful under the planning acts

Design and Access Statements

Some applications require submission of documents that explain the design thinking behind an application.

Ownership certificates and agricultural land declaration

Find out which ownership certificates you must complete and submit with your application.

Standard conditions and informatives

Read our standard conditions and informatives, that may be on the decision for your planning and listed building application.

Decisions on your planning application

Find out about the planning process and how we make decisions on planning applications.