Skip to main content

Non-medical poisons registration

How to register to sell non-medical poisons.

Published: 18 December 2020

Last updated: 16 January 2021

You must be registered with us to sell chemicals listed in part II of the Poisons Act - referred to as non-medicinal poisons - from a premises in Westminster.

These include caustic soda, chemical toilet fluids, drain cleaners and some pesticides and weed killers

Please note that this registration will not allow you to sell chemicals listed in part I of the Poisons Act as these may only be sold by a registered pharmacist.

How to apply

Download and complete the poisons application form and send it to the Licensing team along with the correct fee.

Licensing fees list PDF, 478.99 KB, 38 pages

Eligibility criteria

To be eligible to register:

  • you must have a member of staff to serve customers buying poisons
  • poisons cannot be sold by vending machine
  • you must have suitable facilities for storing the poisons


View regulations relating to this registration

What happens next

When we receive an application, we first determine the suitability of the person and premises to be included on the register. We may authorise an officer to inspect a premises prior to, or after registration.

If they qualify, we send copies of the application to the relevant authorities for consultation on any terms and conditions, amendments, replacements or transfers.

Tacit consent

Tacit consent does not apply. It is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted.

If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact the Licensing team.

Tacit consent means that you'll be able to act as though your application is granted if you've not heard from us by the end of the 28-day target period. Tacit consent will only apply once a full application has been submitted and you've received an acknowledgment.

Making an appeal

View information on appeals and complaints

Further information

Trade associations

Chemical Business Association

View the public register

View the public register online

You can also view a copy of the register at our offices during normal office hours. 

To make an appointment to view it, please contact the Licensing team.