Skip to main content

Apply for a pavement licence

Apply for a licence to place removable furniture over certain highways next to premises, for the sale of food and drink.

The government introduced a temporary pavement licensing scheme in 2020 that enabled the placement of removable furniture on the highways next to premises for the sale, service, and consumption of food and drink. 

The Levelling Up and Regeneration Act 2023 makes permanent the provisions set out in the Business and Planning Act (BPA) 2020.

If you have previously had a table and chairs licence, you will now need to apply for a pavement licence instead. 

A pavement licence allows businesses to use some of the space outside their premises to provide more seats for customers who wish to have a table meal or consume alcohol seated (subject to the business holding a premises licence or temporary event notice under the Licensing Act 2003).

Planning permission is not required for pavement licences.

Read the guidance from the government on this scheme.

Published: 19 January 2021

Last updated: 16 May 2024