You need to apply for a premises licence if you wish to carry out any of the following licensable activities:
- the sale or supply alcohol
- the provision of late-night refreshment (hot food or drink sold between 11pm to 5am)
- regulated entertainment
Licensable activities are governed by the Licensing Act 2003 which provides a clear focus on the promotion of four statutory objectives which must be addressed when licensing functions are undertaken:
- prevention of crime and disorder
- public safety
- the prevention of public nuisance
- the protection of children from harm
Each objective is of equal importance.
A premises licence is required to use a premises for licensable activities. A club premises certificate is needed to allow a qualifying club to engage in qualifying club activities.