Skip to main content

About your home

Find information regarding utilities, home improvements, contents insurance, condensation and mould and pest infestation.

Published on: 29 December 2020

Last updated: 28 April 2022


When you first move into your new home there will be a few things you will want to sort out to help you get settled: 

  1. Electricity
  2. Heating and hot water
  3. Gas
  4. Checking your gas safety
  5. Internet
  6. Telephone
  7. Telling people you've moved
  8. Water supply


You can choose which electricity company you wish to supply power to your home. You may want to use a price comparison website  as these can tell you the best value deal for the amount of electricity you are likely to use - although not all suppliers can be found on these sites. When you've chosen the electricity company will need to know:

  • your name and address
  • the date you moved in
  • the meter reading from that date
  • how you will be going to pay

If you prefer a ‘pay as you go’ payment plan then you can ask your supplier to fit an electricity pre-payment meter. If you do this you need to let us know first.

Heating and hot water

If your home is connected to a communal or district heating scheme, we will include the cost of heating and hot water alongside your rent. Currently, most heating and hot water charges are pooled across the homes supplied by each communal system and charged a flat rate.

In April 2017 we introduced a new metered billing system to homes which receive communal heating and/or hot water. This system is being rolled out in stages across Westminster. Residents have started to receive statements every three months showing them how much heating and hot water is being used in their home or block. Residents served by a Cyclo-Control electricity system now receive electricity statements showing how much power has been used by their heaters and hot water cylinder.

If you have started to receive statements, your weekly heating and hot water charge could go up or down in future depending on how much energy you use. For help and advice on ways to reduce your heating and hot water usage, please take a look at our general energy saving advice guide in the box to the right. 

We have also provided user guides for individually metered systems: 

  • If you have radiators in your home, the Heat Interface Unit (HIU) guide will show you how to use your heating controls and radiator valves. This does not apply to homes connected to the Pimlico District Heating Undertaking.
  • If you have electric storage heaters and an electric hot water cylinder, the Cyclo-Control guide will explain how the system works and how to control your storage heaters to save energy.

From April 2020, we will be rolling out metered heating and hot water billing to another 1,253 homes. If your home is included in this phase of the rollout, you will have already received an introductory letter and your first statement.
If you have your own boiler and the cost of heating and hot water is not included in your rent, you need to make sure you make payments directly to your chosen utility provider.  


We'll let you know when you sign your tenancy if your home is fitted with gas appliances.

We let many of our homes with the gas supply ready to use. The supplier will vary but you can choose to switch to another company if you prefer. You can also ask the supplier to fit a gas pre-payment meter if you wish.

Some of our properties have a communal gas supply and the residents of these pay for gas through a payment scheme. If you live in one of these properties we’ll add the cost of gas to your service charge.

If your home needs connecting to a gas supply when you move in then we’ll let you know the best way to get a connection arranged. You must never allow anyone to touch your gas supply unless they are a qualified Gas Safe engineer. If you decide that you would like a gas supply added to your property and have one connected then you must let us know so we can include it in our annual safety checks.

Checking your gas safety

When you move in we’ll give you a copy of the gas safety record for your new home. This tells you when your gas appliances were last serviced and checked. To ensure they are safe, a qualified engineer will check your appliances every year. You must give us access to your home for these checks to be carried out.

Internet and communication

If you wish to get online then contact your preferred internet service provider. You’ll have to pay any connection or equipment charges. Once again, it may pay to shop around. You might find that a phone and broadband package is cheaper than arranging them both separately so make sure you check with your supplier.
As part of our City for All, and more than ever, we are committed to being one of the best-connected cities with unrivalled network access and speeds for residents, including telephone and internet services. 
Telecommunications work is classified as critical by the government within their regulations and legislation to deal with coronavirus. In line with this, we are allowing this work to continue across the borough.  We are contacting residents to let them know in advance, where service providers are due to carry out work in their area.
There is no cost to residents for this work and service providers will comply with government guidance on managing the risk of coronavirus. 

Find out more within our FAQ guides: 


If you wish to have a telephone connected at your new address then contact your preferred telephone company. You’ll have to pay a fee to reconnect an existing line or to put a new one in.

If you have only moved a short distance then you may be able to keep your old phone number. If you want to do this then you should ask about it before you move. And remember: If you change your number, you should let us know.

Telling people you've moved

The Royal Mail will re-direct post from your old home to your new address for a small fee. You can pick up a form for this at your local post office or visit the Royal Mail website.

When you move, you may also need to tell:

  • your local council – to sort out council tax bill and any benefits
  • JobcentrePlus - if you’re claiming income support or other benefits
  • the child benefit service. Call: 0300 200 3100 or visit the GOV.UK website
  • the pensions service and any other pension providers you may have. Call: 0345 606 0265
  • your employer
  • your doctor and dentist
  • TV Licensing. Call: 0300 790 6131 or visit the TV licensing website
  • The DVLA. Call: 0300 790 6801 or visit the DVLA website
  • your bank, building society and credit card companies
  • your children’s school

Water supply

Your water supply will be connected when you move in. You will need to call the water company to tell them:

  • your name and address
  • the date you moved in

We will tell you if your service charge includes water. If it does not then the water company will set up your account.

From April 2020, if you are a tenant you will need to pay Thames Water for your water instead of within your rent. Find out more about this within FAQ document below. 

Related documents

Changes to the way tenants pay for water


Guide to the Cyclo control heating system
Energy saving top tips advice sheet


HIU user guide
HIU user guide PDF, 333.24 KB, 4 pages