Skip to main content

Personal licences

How to apply for a temporary licence.

Published: 20 January 2021

Last updated: 30 July 2021

You or a member of your staff must hold a personal licence if you sell alcohol from licensed premises, so that every sale or supply of alcohol is authorised by a licence holder.

You must be 18 years or older and hold a licensing qualification such as the Award for Personal Licence Holders (APLH) Level 2. 

You don’t need a personal licence to sell alcohol under a temporary events notice.

How to apply

You can only apply by post. To apply, please complete the two forms below:

Application for a personal license
Application for a personal license PDF, 201.03 KB, 6 pages

Send completed forms to the licensing team.

Applications must include:

What happens next

You can view the status of your application or look up an existing licence on the licensing register.

View information on licensing appeals and complaints

Changing details on a personal licence

​To update details on a personal licence, such as your address, you can contact us by email or in writing. 

The fee to update your licence is £10.50. When you write or email us, please include your phone number; we will then call you to take a credit or debit card payment over the phone.

You must return your original licence to us by post. If you have lost it, please let us know when you email or write to us.