Skip to main content

Rent arrears: social housing

Here's what you can do to avoid getting into debt, if you fall behind with your rent payments.

Everyone has to pay rent and some service charges for their home, even those who receive full housing benefit. Unfortunately, sometimes people stop paying and end up with rent arrears.

If you are registered for transfer and build up more than one week's rent or service charge arrears, you will be suspended from bidding or being made an offer for a new property.

If you do nothing about your arrears, you may be evicted. If this happens it is unlikely that we or any other council will be able to offer you alternative social housing.

Tell someone

Contact Housing and they will advise you what to do to solve the problem.

You might prefer to get independent advice from an agency such as the Citizen's Advice Bureau or Shelter.

The quicker you call, the easier it is to sort the problem out. Ignoring it will not make it go away.


Published: 8 January 2021

Last updated: 4 February 2021