Coronavirus infections are increasing. Keep safe by washing your hands, covering your face and keeping space. If you have symptoms, please get tested. Learn more about controlling the spread of coronavirus

Hazardous household waste

If you find hazardous or clinical waste such as asbestos, chemicals or syringes fly-tipped on the street then please report this to us immediately on 020 7641 2000.

The following items cannot be collected as rubbish or recycling as they are hazardous and must be disposed of safely and correctly:

Hazardous waste type What should I do with it?
Garden chemicals

You can have these items collected free of charge by The City of London Hazardous Waste Collection and Disposal Service.

Complete an online form to apply for a collection of hazardous waste or phone 020 7332 3433.

Chemicals must be put into cardboard boxes for collection. Three free collections per rolling year of 50 litres allowed per household. Additional collections will be charged.

The following information will be required by the City of London call centre:

  • the name of your borough (Westminster)
  • your full name,address and telephone number
  • the name of the chemicals (if known)
  • the number of containers
  • the size of each container

The asbestos collection service is for wrapped sheets of bonded asbestos or small quantities of broken asbestos in bags.  Sheets must be individually wrapped in 1000 gauge polythene and the rubble bags must be no more than 25kg each. There is a free collection limit of either 15m2 or 7 bags per year, additional items will be charged

Petcare products
Motoring products
Household chemicals
Household materials - asbestos, photographic chemicals
Decorative paints, coatings and related products

For small quantities of paint, remove the lid, leave the paint to dry out and then put it out with your household rubbish.

For larger quantities. please contact the Hazardous Waste Service operated by the City of London to arrange a free collection service. You are entitled to up to 3 collections a year of up to 50L paint per collection.

Household batteries Take these to the nearest recycling facilities. You can see a list of items and where to recycle them here.
Electrical and electronic equipment
Energy saving/ compact fluorescent bulbs and tubes
Gas bottles
TVs and computer monitors

You can take these to the nearest recycling facilities for these items or have them collected.

You can see a list of items and where to recycle them here.

Fridges and freezers
Clinical waste collections

We offer business and home collections of sharps containers. If your container does not have waste classification code UN 3291 code, please refer to your waste issuer who will be able to receive the items. Call 0800 358 0514 to book a collection. Average waiting time is 4 to 8 weeks. You should have a minimum of 5 containers or one 5 litre container.

For needles and syringes located on the public highway contact the Environment Action Line on 020 7641 2000.

Medicines need to be returned to your pharmacy.

Read more about hazardous waste types

Last updated: 27 July 2020