Skip to main content

Hazardous household waste

Guidance on what to do if you come across hazardous or clinical rubbish which must be disposed of safely and correctly.

If you find hazardous or clinical waste fly-tipped on the street,  please report this to us immediately on 020 7641 2000.

What is hazardous waste?

Hazardous waste is any waste that can cause harm to humans or the environment. Disposing of these items properly through the solutions on this page will make Westminster a safer place to live and work.

The following items must be disposed of safely and correctly:

  • household chemicals, garden chemicals (eg pesticides, insecticides), household Materials (eg asbestos), motoring products, petcare products 

These are collected free of charge by The City of London hazardous waste collection and disposal service.


Chemicals must be put into cardboard boxes for collection. Three free collections per rolling year of 50 litres allowed per household. Additional collections will be charged.


The asbestos collection service is for wrapped sheets of bonded asbestos or small quantities of broken asbestos in bags.

Sheets must be individually wrapped in 1000 gauge polythene and the rubble bags must be no more than 25kg each. There is a free collection limit of either 15m2 or 7 bags per year, additional items will be charged.


  • decorative paints, coatings and related products (eg wall and ceiling paint, white spirit, methylated spirit, paint stripper) 

For small quantities of paint, remove the lid, leave the paint to dry out and then put it out with your household rubbish. 

For larger quantities. please contact the hazardous waste service operated by the City of London to arrange a free collection service. You are entitled to up to 3 collections a year of up to 50L paint per collection. 

Electricals and electronic equipment

  • electrical and electronic equipment, energy saving/compact fluorescent bulbs and tubes, gas bottles, household batteries (AA, AAA) 

Take these to the nearest recycling facilities.  

List of items and where to recycle them

  • TVs and computer monitors, Fridges and freezers 

Take these to the nearest recycling facilities for these items or have them collected. 

List of items and where to recycle them

Clinical waste and sharps

Any unused medicines need to be returned to your pharmacy. 

We offer business and home collections of sharps containers. If your container does not have waste classification code UN 3291 code, please refer to your waste issuer who will be able to receive the items. Call 0800 358 0514 to book a collection. Average waiting time is 4 to 8 weeks. You should have a minimum of 5 containers or one 5 litre container. 

For needles and syringes located on the public highway do not touch them and immediately contact the Environment Action Line on 020 7641 2000. 

Read more about hazardous waste types at GOV.UK 

Published: 8 January 2021

Last updated: 11 February 2021