Year 3 and above
You can apply for free school meals if your child is in year 3 and above, in full time education and you receive any of the following benefits:
- Universal Credit (provided you have an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400 as assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods)
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guarantee element of State Pension Credit
If you receive Working Tax Credit you will not be entitled to free school meals unless you have:
- stopped work in the last 4 weeks; or
- reduced your hours to less than 16 hours in the last 4 weeks
Children who receive Income Support or Income Based JobSeeker's Allowance in their own right are also entitled to receive free school meals.
Please note: you will only need to apply once using the same form if you have more than one child.