For the latest advice about COVID-19, how services are affected and how the council is responding, visit our Coronavirus pages.

Making a complaint about Children's Services

If you have a problem that has not been addressed you have the right to make a complaint.

Making a complaint is not difficult and you will not be treated any differently because you have made a complaint.

You can make a complaint yourself or ask someone you trust to make a complaint for you.


If you wish to make a complaint about Children's Services, please see our complaints procedure.

    Westminster Children's Rights Service

    If you are under the age of 24 and receiving assistance from Children Young People and Families Service (CYP), the Children's Rights Officer can help you make a complaint. 

    Read our leaflet about making a complaint or call our freephone number on 0500 235 844.

    Further information

    For more information about making a complaint, please read our complaints booklet.

    Last updated: 14 September 2016