Skip to main content

This is a new website - we welcome your feedback to help us improve it.

Planning your ceremony

Before having your marriage or civil partnership ceremony, there are several important things you need to do.

Published on: 3 December 2020

Last updated: 4 February 2021

Give notice of intention

Before getting married or forming a civil partnership, you must both give notice of intention at a register office, usually in the district in which you live.

Westminster Register Office is classed as a designated register office which means that we are also able to take notices of intention for certain non-EEA nationals who live outside of the City of Westminster.

Giving notice involves attending an appointment at a register office where you will declare who you intend to marry or form a civil partnership with, where the ceremony will take place and that you are legally free to get married or form a civil partnership.

This is a legal requirement that must be completed at least 29 days prior to the ceremony. In certain cases, depending on your immigration status, this may be extended to 71 days. Therefore, we advise that whenever possible you give notice at least three-six months prior to your ceremony.

View the full guide for giving notice of intention