Skip to main content

Planning your wedding ceremony

Before having your marriage or civil partnership ceremony, there are several important things you need to do.

Religious ceremonies


A religious wedding can take place at a church, chapel or other registered religious building.

Most religious venues have an authorised person to perform the ceremony. However, some do not so please check this with the venue. If they do not have an authorised person, you will need to book a registrar to attend.

The cost of the registrar’s attendance is £207.00 including the non-refundable booking fee.

The cost of the ceremony, place of worship hire and any other legal or religious requirements are not included. Please contact the religious venue directly for information on their fees.

If you are planning on marrying within the Church of England and one or both of you are from outside the European Economic Area, you will both need to give notice of intention at a register office. Please confirm with the church that you meet their requirements before giving notice. In some circumstances, we will require a letter of consent and clarification from the church to be brought with you to your notice appointment.

Those wishing to have a Jewish ceremony are also required to give notice of intention.

If you are planning on marrying in a place of worship that is not a synagogue or part of the Church of England, please make initial enquiries with that religious venue.

Please note that due to changes to marriage laws from 4 May 2021, you will need to arrange to collect a marriage schedule document for the ceremony to take place at a religious building. The registration team can be contacted via email to [email protected] to make arrangements for this to be emailed to the religious building directly or for you to collect in person. This document replaces any marriage authority documents that may have already been issued to you by your register office.

Published: 3 December 2020

Last updated: 17 April 2023