Pollution alerts, statistics, and reports
You can register for free air quality alerts by text message or email from airTEXT. These alerts also contain useful information on how you can reduce your exposure to harmful pollution when air quality levels are especially poor.
Tips for high pollution days
- Limit outdoor activities and exercise so you avoid breathing in too much polluted air.
- Go out earlier in the day when air quality tends to be better.
- Stay on quieter, back streets if possible, avoiding areas where there’s a lot of traffic.
- Walk on the inside of the pavement because pollution levels are lower the further you are from the traffic.
- Keep your car windows closed if you’re driving, especially if you’re driving in slow-moving traffic.
- Be prepared by checking pollution levels in your area. Defra produces a UK-wide pollution forecast every day, and for the next five days, so you can check to see if your local area is likely to be affected.