Accessibility in Westminster libraries
Read what services we offer for those with visual impairments, and those who need wheelchair access.
Published: 24 December 2020
Last updated: 24 December 2020
There is an induction loop in the meeting room at Westminster City Archives, and registered assistance dogs are welcome in all libraries. We also provide a range of contact options if you are deaf or hard of hearing.
Visually impaired people (VIPs) can claim concessionary rates in libraries by completing a form which allows free language lessons, and music and talking book loans and reservations. Registered assistance dogs are welcome in all libraries.
We offer the following services for the visually impaired:
- all lending libraries have collections of spoken word recordings
- all lending libraries except Charing Cross Library have collections of large print books
- Paddington Library and Westminster Reference Library have a ScannaR™ text-to-speech scanner which is available to use upon request
- hand-held magnifiers are available at all libraries
- closed-circuit television magnifiers - Merlin 2 24" Enhanced Vision at Victoria Library, and Bierley BigReader - at Westminster Reference Library
More detailed information is available on the individual library pages.
|Library name||Wheelchair accessible?|
|Charing Cross Library and Westminster Chinese Library||No|
|Church Street Library||Yes|
|Maida Vale Library||Yes|
|Marylebone Library||Ground floor only|
|Pimlico Library||Yes via wheelchair accessible lift|
|Queen's Park Library||Ground floor only|
|St John's Wood Library||Yes|
|Victoria Library and Westminster Music Library||Ground floor only. No access to Music Library|
|Westminster City Archives||Yes|
|Westminster Reference Library||No|
Home library service and 24/7 Library
If you live in Westminster and find it difficult to get to a library because you are elderly, have a disability or long-term illness or are caring for someone, our home library service will come to you.
There are also many online services available using our 24/7 Library.