Skip to main content

Regulated entertainment exemptions

Find out when you don’t need a regulated entertainment licence

Published: 18 January 2021

Last updated: 22 January 2021

Usually, to provide regulated entertainment at a premises you need to apply for a licence.

However, some live activities generally don't require a licence including:

  • karaoke
  • entertainment in places of worship
  • Morris or Irish dancing
  • ‘incidental’ music that supplements another activity, such as carol singers
  • garden fetes, as long as it's not for private gain
  • live radio broadcasts
  • moving vehicles (such as parade floats

If you have any questions about live music licences, contact the licensing team for advice.