One of our core functions is to preserve records of local government in Westminster from the regulation of the city by the Court of Burgesses to the activities of Westminster City Council today.
Our council records include:
- Court of Burgesses records (1610 to 1901)
- civil parish records (covering all 12 former civil parishes of Westminster, Paddington and Marylebone)
- records of civil boards and commissioners that served the former civil parishes of Westminster
- records of Westminster City Council, St. Marylebone Borough Council and Paddington Borough Council (1901 to 1965)
- records of Westminster City Council (1965 onwards)
Although they primarily deal with the administration of the city, Westminster's council records can also be a useful source for family historians. Sources of possible interest include rate books and poor law records such as workhouse admission registers.