How to join a library
Fill in an online form to become a Westminster library member and then collect your card from your local library.
Published: 14 December 2020
Last updated: 1 February 2021
When you collect your card at your local library, please bring proof of your address such as:
- utilities bill (last 6 months)
- rent, Child Benefit or pension book
- current driving licence
- bank or credit card statement (last 6 months)
- building society book
Anyone 16 years old or above can join free of charge as an adult member provided they have proof of their permanent address anywhere in the UK.
Once you join, you can use the service immediately.
Short stay membership
If you are living in short-term accommodation, you can apply for either short stay membership or a visitor's subscription membership.
If you are visiting Westminster and are unable to provide proof of a UK address, you can join as a guest member. You can use our computers and online resources free of charge for one month but you will be unable to borrow books. You will need to provide proof of identity eg a passport, identity card, etc.
Children and young people
Under 16s cannot join online unless a parent, carer or guardian does so on their behalf.
Membership for 6 to 15 year olds
Once a parent, carer or guardian signs the form to confirm the child's details, the child must also have one of the following:
- a parent, guardian, carer or teacher with them to confirm the signature and address on the application form
- proof of their parent's or guardian's name and address (anything listed for an adult's membership listed above)
- the application form stamped by their school confirming the details
Membership for 5 year olds and under
A parent, guardian or carer must complete the form for the child and sign the form for them.