How to claim your dog
If your dog has been lost or reported as a stray, see how you can collect them and what fees you need to pay.
If your dog has been collected you will need the following to claim him/her back:
- provide proof of your residential address such as a utility bill
- demonstrate ownership of the dog - a kennel club registration, family pet photos, a vet bill etc
- pay the fees for the collection and kennelling of your dog
Letting your dog stray is an offence. There is a statutory fine of £25 to claim your dog.
If we can't find the owner, the stray will be transported to our kennels and kept there for 7 days where further charges will apply:
- daily kennel fee - £17 per day
- return to owner fee (micro chipped dog) - £25
- return to owner fee (non micro chipped dog) - £40
- vet fees - dependent on dog's health when collected*
*If the dog is injured or requires veterinary assistance these fees will be added to the final cost. These costs could vary depending on the dogs’ health and or condition.
These fees could be higher dependent upon the time the dog needs to be returned. The contractor will advise owners of the full fees payable. Owners can arrange to collect and pay for their dog from the kennels during operational periods.
To ask about lost dogs please call 0344 482 8300.
Published: 22 January 2021
Last updated: 23 October 2023