Skip to main content

Support services

Explore the range of support services available in Westminster.

Published on: 15 February 2021

Last updated: 15 February 2021

Help to remain in your home

There are many other organisations and websites that can help you to feel safe and secure in your home as you get older. These may be charities or government funded services and they provide a range of services that you may find useful.

People First work with residents of Westminster, Kensington and Chelsea and Hammersmith and Fulham. They support older residents to live independently and offer advice on a range of issues that can affect older people. They also provide links to other professional services and leaflets on The Care Act, support in the home, information for carers, health and well-being and more.


We are members of the Westminster Dementia Action Alliance and our staff are encouraged to sign up to the Alzheimer’s Society’s Dementia Friends. This means that our staff can help in putting you in touch with organisations/agencies that can help.

If you are in a household where dementia is present and require adaptations in your property you can find out more here.

The Alzheimer’s Society run the National Dementia Hotline and can be contacted on 0300 222 1122.

Households where dementia is present may need support with decision making. The Advocacy Project is open to Westminster residents aged 65 and over.

One Westminster Advocacy Project also provides similar assistance.


Isolation is a growing concern for many older residents. There are a number of events listed on our events calendar  offered by AgeUK, the Dementia Action Alliance and similar agencies for older Westminster residents.  These events include cinema showings, musical performances and digital inclusion meetings.

AgeUK run iTea events that help to introduce older people to the benefits of email and social media.  Westminster tenants are welcome to attend.

Most events are free of charge and those that aren’t are subject to a nominal fee.

Health services – local NHS services

Tenants who wish to improve their general health can visit the NHS One You website. The site offers advice and support to help with stopping smoking and drinking alcohol.  It also gives information on ways to improve sleep, reduce stress and improve eating habits.  The site also offers free mobile apps that monitor activity and consumption, making it easier to identify ways in which improvements can be made.

Moving home

If your home is too big and you would like to consider downsizing options/housing mobility schemes, you can find out more information here.