Westminster City was formed in 1900 out of the parishes of St Anne Soho, St Clement Danes, St George (Hanover Square), St James (Piccadilly), St Margaret ( Westminster), St Martin-in-the-Fields, St Mary le Strand, St Paul (Covent Garden), the Precinct of the Savoy and the Liberty of the Rolls.
Both the baths & washhouses committee and the libraries committee started under the parish administration and continued under the Westminster City Council administration.
In 1965 the borough of St Marylebone and Paddington Borough Council were added to the City of Westminster.
Westminster City Council's boundaries extended from Pimlico and Victoria in the south through the West End, Marylebone and Bayswater to Paddington and Queen's Park in the north-west.
60 elected council members legislate over the modern city of Westminster. Since 1966, the city has also had an annually-elected Lord Mayor, who carries out a busy programme of civic duties.
The Borough of St. Marylebone was created out of the former parish vestry in November 1900. Many of the series of minutes and accounts continued almost unchanged during this transition period.
The boundaries of St. Marylebone remained unchanged along Oxford Street, Edgware Road and Maida Vale, but various minor alterations were made to the northern and eastern boundaries.
The records in this section date from the creation of the borough in 1900 through to its abolition in 1965, when St Marylebone became part of the City of Westminster.
Paddington Borough Council was created in November 1900 out of the former parish Vestry. Many of the series of minutes and accounts continue almost unchanged, with the same minute book being used before and after November 1900.
Boundaries were revised for the new council. The most important change was that Queen's Park, previously part of the detached portion of the parish of Chelsea, became part of Paddington. A number of other alterations were made to the boundary with Kensington.
This section covers Paddington Borough Council records from 1900 through to 1965, when Paddington became part of the City of Westminster.