Skip to main content

Information on Trading Standards

Consumer protection legislation and how we work to achieve a fair, safe trading environment with informed and confident consumers.

Trading Standards enforces a wide range of legislation covering subjects such as weights & measures, product safety, fair trading and the sale of age restricted products. 

Contacting Trading Standards as a consumer

If you have a complaint about a trader or require advice about a dispute please contact Citizens Advice using the following details:

Citizens Advice will give you practical and impartial advice on how to resolve your consumer issue and tell you the law which applies to your situation.  Where applicable, they will refer details about reported traders to us and we will contact you if necessary.

Why can't I contact Trading Standards directly?

Trading Standards only investigate traders who may have broken the law. 

Citizens Advice handle calls on our behalf and will help with any complaint. If it sounds like a crime has been committed, they’ll pass your complaint to us.

Contacting trading standards as a businesses

If you are a business based in the City of Westminster and require advice about how to comply with Trading Standards legislation, please call: 

0207 641 2000

If you are a business based outside the City of Westminster, contact your local Trading Standards Service. To find your local council visit GOV.UK.

Published: 27 July 2021

Last updated: 12 December 2023