Skip to main content

Report benefit fraud

Find out how to report someone if you suspect they are committing benefit fraud.

Benefit fraud is when someone makes a claim for benefit based on information that they know to be false or inaccurate. It can also be where the original claim is correct, but the person does not tell the council about a change in their circumstances.

Benefit fraud can be committed by a person claiming the benefit, someone helping the person claiming the benefit or on some occasions, a landlord or an employer.

Instances of suspected Housing Benefit fraud are no longer investigated by us. This function has been transferred to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

If you suspect that someone is committing Housing Benefit fraud, you can report this to the DWP by calling 0800 854 440 or by visiting the DWP website.

What is benefit fraud?

Some examples of the type of benefit fraud that can be committed is when a benefit claimant:

  • is working but they have not told us about their work
  • has not told the us about property they own or all of their savings and investments
  • has a partner, relative, friend or lodger living with them and has not told us
  • is not claiming using their true identity
  • is not living at the property they are receiving benefit for or is subletting the property
  • has not told us about all of their income

Published: 2 December 2020

Last updated: 11 January 2021