Find out what forms of ID are valid and if you don't have a valid form of ID, how to get a free voter authority certificate.
The UK Government has introduced a requirement for voters to show photo ID when voting at a polling station at elections.
Which forms of ID can I use to vote?
You may already have a form of photo ID that is acceptable. You can use any of the following:
- driving licence, this includes provisional licenses
- blue badge
- certain concessionary travel cards
- identity card with PASS mark (Proof of Age Standards Scheme)
- biometric immigration document
- defence identity card
- certain national identity cards
You will only need to show one form of photo ID, but it needs to be the original version and not a photocopy. The name on your ID must be the same name you used to register to vote.
For more information on which forms of photo ID will be accepted, visit the Electoral Commission's voter ID webpage or call their helpline on 0800 328 0280.
If you don’t have an accepted form of photo ID
If you don’t already have an accepted form of photo ID, or you’re not sure whether your photo ID still looks like you, you can apply for a free voter ID document, known as a Voter Authority Certificate. You can apply for this through the GOV.UK Voter Authority Certificate service.
Alternatively, you can complete a paper application form and send this to us at:
- Post: Electoral Services, Westminster City Council, 14th Floor City Hall, 64 Victoria Street, London, SW1E 6QP
- Freepost (UK only): Freepost RTJY-BJSY-HULU, Electoral Registration Officer, Westminster City Council, Westminster City Hall, 64 Victoria Street, London, SW1E 6QP
If you need any help with applying for a Voter Authority Certificate or want to request an application form, please contact Electoral Services.
The deadline to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate for use at a particular election is 5pm, 6 working days before the date of that election.
Find out more
If you have any questions or would like to find out more, go to the Electoral Commission's voter ID webpage, or call their helpline on 0800 328 0280.
Published: 16 January 2023
Last updated: 25 January 2024