Skip to main content

Postal and proxy voting

Access forms and information that you need to be able to vote by post or by proxy.

Published: 25 January 2021

Last updated: 6 July 2022

Voting by post or proxy

Anyone who is registered to vote can apply to vote by post instead of voting in person at the polling station.

Alternatively, any registered elector can appoint another registered elector to vote on their behalf. This is known as proxy voting. Your proxy can either go to your polling station to cast your vote or they may apply to vote on your behalf by post.

Find more information about proxy voting from the Electoral Commission.

Absent vote forms

If you would prefer to vote by post or proxy at future elections please complete the relevant form.

Postal vote application form
Postal vote application form PDF, 480.51 KB, 2 pages
Proxy vote application form
Proxy vote application form PDF, 102.95 KB, 3 pages

A person can only be a proxy for close relatives and up to two other people at an election or referendum.

Close relatives are the spouse, civil partner, parent, grandparent, brother, sister, child or grandchild of the applicant. The person you wish to appoint as your proxy can only act as proxy if they are 18 or over and they are (or will be) registered for that election or referendum.

Sending your form

You can email your completed form to [email protected]

You can also send your completed form to:

Electoral Services,
Westminster City Council,
14th Floor City Hall,
64 Victoria Street,

Or using our Freepost address (UK only) to:

Electoral Registration Officer, 
Westminster City Council, 
Westminster City Hall, 
64 Victoria Street, 

If you appoint a proxy to vote on your behalf then your proxy will need to go to your polling station to vote for you. Your proxy can apply for a postal vote to vote on your behalf instead of going to your polling station.

Signature waiver form

If you care for someone who is unable to sign the postal vote application form, they can apply for a signature waiver form.

To do this, contact Electoral Services.