What we're building at 300 Harrow Road
Westminster City Council is building 112 new homes as part of a mixed-use development at 300 Harrow Road. These one, two- and three-bedroom homes will suit a variety of households, giving a wide range of people the chance to live in the heart of London.
We are also building a new nursery, community hall, enterprise space, and better green space for the community.
This project is part of our commitment to build 1,850 new affordable homes in Westminster by 2023.
Giving back to the community
Westminster City Council is working with your community throughout these works to give back to local people.
Do you have an idea about how we could help the local community throughout construction? Get in touch with us at [email protected] – we’d love to hear from you.
All new jobs created at 300 Harrow Road with be offered to local residents. We’re working with Westminster Employment Services to make this happen. Find out more about WES at www.westminster.gov.uk/westminster-employment-service [PLACEHOLDER LINK]
We want to hear about opportunities to work with the local schools in the area to give back to your community. If you have any ideas on how we could do us, drop us an email at [email protected]
The development will provide a mix of affordable homes and homes for private sale through the council’s wholly owned company, Westminster Builds. This will include:
- 50% affordable homes for either social or intermediate rent
- a local lettings plan, prioritising eligible people closest to the site for the new affordable homes
- 50% of homes for private rent or sale to help fund other housing developments across Westminster
To find out more about applying for affordable homes in Westminster, visit the Home Ownership Westminster website for more information.
If you’re interested in the homes for private rent or sale, visit the Westminster Builds website for more information.
Artist's impression of typical 1 bedroom home at 300 Harrow Road
Artist's impression of typical 2 bedroom home at 300 Harrow Road
Artist's impression of living space in new homes at 300 Harrow Road
Sustainable design for the future
As the council works towards being carbon neutral by 2030, our buildings at 300 Harrow Road will be designed with the highest environmental standards in mind.
The new buildings will have excellent environmental credentials including:
- an air source heat pump in every home
- dual-aspect homes to maximise light
- triple-glazed windows [TBC]
- solar panels and rainwater collection, creating local energy sources for residents
- living roofs to reduce carbon emissions over the building’s lifetime
We are also dedicated to using the green space to create a sustainable and inviting place for local people to enjoy. We will:
- keep as many existing trees as possible
- plant new trees in the area to improve air quality
- ensure landscaping and plants improve the biodiversity of the area.
Harrow Road nursery is currently located next to the community hall on Warwick Estate, and from December 2020, will move to a temporary site which is a five-minute walk away at Westbourne Green.
The temporary site will house the nursery until the new nursery is completed in 2023.
We plan to re-provide the nursery by building a modern educational space suitable for children ages 0-5. The new nursery will include:
- flexible spaces, able to be separated for different age groups
- modern amenities for teachers and parents
- indoor and outdoor spaces for both learning and play
We have spoken to people who ran regular classes in the previous community hall and have helped them find alternative spaces in the local area.
Please contact your class organiser to find out where sessions are being held throughout the build or email us at [email protected]
To ensure the development provides a wide range of benefits for the community, we have included places to work and relax in the new buildings.
We will deliver a new enterprise space, designed to give local businesses a place to start out and grow. The ground floor space will also be home to a canal-side café, which will be open to the whole community.
The new canal-side landscaped area will enhance the space next to Regent’s Canal and make it a more inviting place for people to come and relax.
The improvements will include:
- a path through Warwick Estate through to the canal
- central play space open to all residents
- new green space with trees and planting
- an open design, addressing former issues with anti-social behaviour in the area
Do you have a question?
Please get in touch with our Regeneration team to learn more about the project.
Email us at [email protected]