Disruption expected 6 to 20 October due to Extinction Rebellion protests – read more about the possible impact.

Self-build and custom-build register

From 1 April 2016, the Self Build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015 places a duty upon all local councils to have their own Right to Build register.

If you are interested in building or designing your own home in Westminster and you meet the eligibility criteria below, please complete the application form.

To be eligible to register you must meet all 3 requirements:

  1. be over 18
  2. be a British citizen or national of an European Economic Area State (member states of the European Union, Iceland, Lichtenstein and Norway, other than the United Kingdom), or a national of Switzerland 
  3. be seeking (either alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land within Westminster to build a house to occupy as your sole or main residence

When applying to be entered on the register individuals who wish to register as an association or as a couple must appoint a sole person to act as the Lead Contact for the purposes of correspondence between the association and the council.

Registering on Westminster’s self-build and custom-build register is intended to help the council assess demand for this type of housing locally and inform its work on shaping future housing policy for the city.

Please note that in line with the key decision made by the Cabinet Member for Place Shaping and Planning from March 2019 Westminster's Custom and Self-Build Register will be split into Part 1 and Part 2. Entries will be subject to revised eligibility requirements including payment of a fee to enter the register, in line with the provisions of the October 2016 Self-build and Custom Housebuilding (Time for Compliance and Fees) Regulations 2016 and the Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Regulations 2016.

Existing entries will be able to remain on the register until 31 March 2019. After this date, they will be re-assessed against the revised eligibility requirements and subject to payment of a fee. Full details will be published in March 2019.

Apply to join the Right to Build register

Those put on the register will not be offered any land to build their own home as a result, nor is registration a guarantee of the granting of planning permission for a self-build or custom-build property in Westminster. 
Last updated: 1 March 2019