Order a copy of a certificate
Find out how you can order copies of birth, death, and marriage certificates.
Published: 3 December 2020
Last updated: 20 June 2022
The Westminster Registration Service will be closed on Tuesday 21 June and will re-open on Wednesday 22 June at 9am.
If you request the priority certificate service on or after 2pm on Monday 20 June, it will not be processed until Wednesday 22 June. We apologise for the inconvenience this may cause
For births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships registered in Westminster, certificates for the following years only can be ordered from us online:
- birth certificates for 1922 onwards
- death certificates for 1972 onwards
- marriage certificates for 1947 onwards
- civil partnership certificates from 2006 onwards
Please do not place an order for records before these dates. See Location of Westminster Registration records for more information on how to order
Guide to ordering
Please check these guidelines before placing your order:
- Please note that on the first Tuesday of every month the Westminster Registration Service is closed. Subsequently any priority orders received after 2pm on the Monday before will not be processed until Wednesday; the next following business day. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.Please do not provide reference numbers from General Register Office indexes, Ancestry.co.uk, findmypast.com or similar websites, as they don't relate to Westminster registers.
- You must provide the details of the person on the certificate.
- Newborn babies must be registered in person at the register office before copy certificates can be ordered online.
- Adoption certificates must be ordered directly from the General Register Office on 0300 123 1837.
- If you're unsure whether the event took place in Westminster, order your certificate from the General Register Office who hold all the records for England and Wales.
Order a certificate
Certificates cost £11 each plus postage. For an additional charge a priority service is available.
There are two options when ordering a certificate:
- Standard orders
These will be dispatched from our office seven working days from the date of the order. Once dispatched on day seven these are sent by First Class Signed-For or International as appropriate.
- Priority orders
These will be dispatched from our office within one working day of receiving the order, if received before 2pm, and sent by Guaranteed Next-Day or International as appropriate.