Order a copy of a certificate
Find out how you can order copies of birth, death, and marriage certificates.
Records held onsite
Certificate for births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships registered in Westminster from the following years can be ordered online from us:
- Births certificates from 1923
- Death certificates from 1973
- Marriage certificates from 1948
- Civil Partnership certificates from 2006
All other records are held offsite.
If you require a record before these dates please order from The General Register Office.
Order a certificate
Certificates cost £11 each plus postage.
There are two delivery options when ordering a certificate:
- Standard delivery
These will be dispatched from our office seven working days from the order date. Once dispatched on day seven, these are sent by Second Class Signed-for or International as appropriate.
- Priority delivery
These will be dispatched from our office within one working day of receiving the order if received before 2pm. These will be sent by Royal Mail Special Delivery or International as appropriate. This service includes an extra charge.
Things to note when ordering
Please note that the Westminster Registration Service is closed on the first Tuesday of every month. Any priority orders received after 2pm on the Monday before will not be processed until Wednesday, the following business day. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
Please do not provide reference numbers from General Register Office indexes, Ancestry.co.uk, findmypast.com or similar websites, as they don't relate to Westminster registers.
Please also note:
- you must provide the details of the person on the certificate
- newborn babies must be registered in person at the register office before copy certificates can be ordered online
- adoption certificates must be ordered directly from the General Register Office on 0300 123 1837
- if you're unsure whether the event took place in Westminster, order your certificate from the General Register Office, which holds all the records for England and Wales
Published: 3 December 2020
Last updated: 8 December 2023