Order a copy of a certificate
Find out how you can order copies of birth, death, and marriage certificates.
The Westminster Registration Service will be closed from 4pm on Monday 4 December 2023 and will re-open on Wednesday 6 December 2023 at 9am.
If you request the priority certificate service on or after 2pm on Monday 4 December 2023, it will not be processed until Wednesday 6 December 2023. We apologise for the inconvenience this may cause.
For births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships registered in Westminster, certificates for the following years only can be ordered from us online:
Please do not place an order for records before these dates. See Location of Westminster Registration records for more information on how to order
Guide to ordering
Please check these guidelines before placing your order:
Order a certificate
Certificates cost £11 each plus postage. For an additional charge, a priority service is available.
There are two options when ordering a certificate:
These will be dispatched from our office seven working days from the order date. Once dispatched on day seven, these are sent by Second Class Signed-for or International as appropriate.
These will be dispatched from our office within one working day of receiving the order if received before 2pm. These will be sent by Royal Mail Special Delivery or International as appropriate.
- birth certificates from 1922 onwards
- death certificates for 1972 onwards
- marriage certificates from 1947 onwards
- civil partnership certificates from 2006 onwards
- Please note that the Westminster Registration Service is closed on the first Tuesday of every month. Subsequently, any priority orders received after 2 pm on the Monday before will not be processed until Wednesday, the following business day. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. Please do not provide reference numbers from General Register Office indexes, Ancestry.co.uk, findmypast.com or similar websites, as they don't relate to Westminster registers.
- You must provide the details of the person on the certificate.
- Newborn babies must be registered in person at the register office before copy certificates can be ordered online.
- Adoption certificates must be ordered directly from the General Register Office on 0300 123 1837.
- If you're unsure whether the event took place in Westminster, order your certificate from the General Register Office, which holds all the records for England and Wales.
- Standard orders
- Priority orders
Published: 3 December 2020
Last updated: 29 November 2023