Find out how reusable nappies can save you money, and help reduce waste.
Published: 27 May 2022
Last updated: 16 March 2023
Types of reusable nappies
Reusable nappies can make an important contribution to waste reduction in the borough.
There are two basic types of reusable nappy:
- two part nappies which consist of a nappy part and a waterproof wrap
- all-in-one nappies in which the inner nappy and the outer waterproof are combined
You can attend one of our reusable nappy workshops to find out more information.
Vouchers for real nappies
If you live in Westminster you can get a £48 voucher to use real cotton nappies. Please note from April 1 2023 the voucher amount will increase to £70. You can use the voucher to buy nappies from participating businesses across London, or get started with a real nappy laundry service.
How to get your voucher
- apply online at Real Nappies for London
- apply using a paper form – call Real Nappies for London on 020 3150 2023 to request one
Advantages of reusable nappies
There are lots of advantages of using real nappies:
- real cotton nappies are easy to use, soft on the skin and don’t contain absorbent gels
- your local laundry service can collect dirty nappies and deliver clean ones to your home
- real nappies are cheaper than disposable ones, and could save you around £500 per baby if you wash your own
- better for the environment, 8 million nappies are thrown away every day in the UK and they take hundreds of years to disintegrate
Events and demonstrations
- Tuesday 25 April, Reusable Nappy Week, Maternity and Baby Clothes Swap, Church Street Library, 10am to midday, sign up to attend on Eventbrite.