Skip to main content

This is a new website - we welcome your feedback to help us improve it.

Private tenants

You can find out about your rights as a Private tenant and how we ensure you have a safe and healthy home.

Published on: 27 January 2021

Last updated: 4 May 2021

Report poor housing conditions

Private tenant

Before contacting the council about poor housing conditions, please ensure you have reported the matter to your landlord or agent (in writing). This protects you from eviction if the council subsequently takes enforcement action against your landlord. 

If you are a council tenant you should contact your local estate office as we can only deal with private sector landlords.

Make an enquiry about privately rented housing

Residential Social Landlord (RSL) tenants 

If you are concerned about conditions in your property you should firstly report the matter to your housing association and provide a reasonable amount of time for them to resolve the matter.

RSL's should have a formal complaints procedure that can  be used to escalate your concerns if required. The Housing Ombudsman may also be able to look at your case if you have exhausted the complaints procedure. The council has an agreed protocol in place with some of Westminster's social landlords to ensure any concerns about property conditions are addressed.