Westminster's planning policies
A summary of the several key policies and documents that planning applications in Westminster are determined by.
Published: 25 January 2021
Last updated: 24 May 2021
Westminster's Development Plan
There are several key policies and documents that planning applications in Westminster are determined by. These make up Westminster's Development Plan and include:
1 - Westminster’s City Plan 2019-2040
- adopted by full council on 21 April 2021
- the City Plan 2019-2040 is the key document used in determining planning applications in Westminster
See our adoption documents:
You can also view an interactive version of the policies map.
2 - Neighbourhood Plans
- currently Westminster has two ‘made’ (adopted) neighbourhood plans: the Knightsbridge Neighbourhood Plan and the Mayfair Neighbourhood Plan, which were adopted in 11 December 2018 and 24 December 2019 respectively
- the plans are used to determine planning applications in the Knightsbridge neighbourhood area and Mayfair neighbourhood area respectively
3 - London Plan
- the Mayor of London adopted the London Plan in March 2021
National Planning Policy Framework
The government’s National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) 2012 created a structure which assists local councils in creating their own Local Plans. It is part of the government’s reforms to make the planning system less complex and more accessible.
Policies in the NPPF can be used directly to determine planning applications in Westminster as a material consideration. They are not, however, part of Westminster’s Development Plan.
Superseded City Plan and saved UDP policies
The City Plan (November 2016) and the saved UDP policies are now superseded and are not part of Westminster’s Development Plan. Policies in both documents have now been deleted or replaced by policies in the City Plan 2019-2040.
The City Plan (November 2016) and the saved UDP policies should therefore not be used when determining planning applications in Westminster. However, they may continue to be used when referring to old planning applications or appeals.
The City Plan 2019-2040 Appendix 3 contains a table that sets outs which City Plan (November 2016) and UDP saved policies have been deleted. When they have not been deleted, the table sets outs which policy in City Plan 2019-2040 supersedes them.
See the superseded documents:
City Plan 2016:
Policies Map 2016:
Saved UDP policies: