Skip to main content

Home electrical safety

Read about what electrical safety requirements are required within a dwelling.

All new electrical wiring or electrical components for a house, flat or small commercial premise linked to domestic accommodation must be designed and installed in line with Part P of the Building Regulations. 

Further technical information can be found in the Approved Document to Part P

Not all electrical works are notifiable. However, where the work consists of the installation of a new circuit, the replacement of a consumer unit, or the addition or alteration to existing circuits in a special location for example, a bathroom or shower room, must be notified in one of 3 ways: 

  1. Use an electrician who is a member of a registered competent person’s scheme and therefore experienced and qualified to certify their own work and provide the owner with a certificate of compliance. 
  2. Use an electrician who uses a registered 3rd-party certifier to inspect and test their installation and provide a compliance certificate to the owner. 
  3. An electrician’s work can be inspected by building control but a registered 3rd-party certifier will be used by building control to inspect, test and certify. There will be an additional charge for this. 

Published: 20 January 2021

Last updated: 20 January 2021