Skip to main content

Resident’s permit for imported foreign vehicles

You can apply for a resident permit for an imported vehicle once it has been registered with the DVLA.

Published: 20 January 2021

Last updated: 27 January 2021

Private vehicles: permanent import

If you’re importing a private vehicle into the UK permanently, you’ll need to register it with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).

You can only get a resident permit for an imported vehicle if you have registered it with the DVLA.

Once your vehicle is registered you can apply for a resident permit.

New permit charges apply from 18 January 2021.

Temporary permit

If you are in the process of registering your vehicle with the DVLA you may be entitled to an interim permit if you can provide:

  • the full annual permit charge
  • at least one proof of residence document
  • one proof of vehicle ownership document showing the car is registered and insured in your name abroad


All applications for temporary permits need to be made online.

Apply for permit

Providing further proof documents

During this interim cover, you must be able to provide:

  • evidence that the vehicle registration change process has commenced with DVLA
  • a second proof of residence document

If you do not provide evidence that the vehicle is being registered within the interim period, you will forfeit the full permit price and no permit will be issued.

You will not be refunded unless you can demonstrate that the DVLA are responsible for the delay.

Private vehicles: temporary import

A resident permit will not be issued to applicants who bring their car into the UK on a temporary basis if the vehicle is registered and insured abroad.

To find out why Parking Services needs to collect and store personal data, how this is used and your rights to access your information, please refer to our privacy notice.