Public realm (cycle parking) privacy notice
Find out more about how the council collects and processes personal data relating to cycle parking.
Purpose for processing your information
Westminster City Council as Data Controller is responsible for collecting and processing information required for statutory reasons under the Traffic Management Act 2004 (and associated regulations), the London Local Authorities and Transport for London Act 2003 (and associated regulations). This includes the provision of administrative and statutory services for:
- processing over 2500 resident applications that could result in cycling storage or being placed on a waiting list
- provide cycle storage service to the council’s residents with a contract between the resident and the council
- in-house management of cycle storage business function by procuring cycle storage and catering for installation
What types of information do we collect?
We collect the following information:
- personal name and addresses
- business name and addresses
- telephone numbers
- email addresses
- payment details
- any other relevant information provided in conjunction with applying for a cycle storage space
- any other relevant information provided when arranging for the servicing of a vandalised cycle storage unit.
Some examples of when we collect this information include:
When a resident applies to a cycle storage space in which to store their bicycles both on the highway and the estate:
- we may contact the the resident and ask them to make payment to secure a storage space of their choice near their home address via the council’s website
When applying for a cycling storage space:
- we may request you supply documentation to enable us to verify your identity, residency at a specific address
We will ensure that any personal data in our care will be kept safe and that where your information is disclosed to a third party; we will seek to ensure that the third party has sufficient systems and procedures in place to prevent the loss or damage of personal data.
We will not use your personal data for third party marketing purposes without your prior express consent.
How we collect your information
We collect information in a number of ways including:
- by letter, application form, email, telephone, online systems/forms
- from third parties including Falco Rentals and Cyclehoop
Who the information is shared with:
- Westminster City Council officers from Highways Department, Complaints Team and the Corporate Anti-Fraud Service
- Westminster City Council officers from other council departments in relation to matters pertaining to policy and planning
- Falco UK Ltd
- Law enforcement agencies in connection with any investigation to help prevent unlawful activity
How long do we keep your information?
We will only retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
We may also anonymise some personal data you provide to us to ensure that you cannot be identified and use this data to allow the council to effectively target and plan the provision of services.
In general information related to:
- the application and securing a cycle storage space may be held for as long as is required to provide an effective service to the customer
- waiting list data may be held until such time as a storage space has been allocated, unless we receive a prior request from an individual to be removed from a list
- recordings of telephone calls made to Cycle Parking may be kept for up to three months
How you can access, update or correct your information
The data protection legislation allows you to find out what information is held about you, on paper and computer records. This is known as ‘right of subject access’ and applies to your personal records. If you wish to see a copy of your records, you should contact the council’s data protection officer. You are entitled to receive a copy of our records free of charge, within one month.
A data redaction will be carried out by the council if it receives a request to delete the personal details that are currently being held in relation to a historic cancelled tenancy.
In certain circumstances, access to your records may be limited, for example, if the records you have asked for contain information relating to another person.
The accuracy of your information is important to us to be able to provide relevant services more quickly. If you change your address or email address, or if any of your circumstances change or any of the other information we hold is inaccurate or out of date please email our cycle parking team: [email protected]
If you need to make a complaint specifically about the way we have processed your data, you should in the first instance use our corporate complaints policy. If your complaint is relating to the processing of your personal data you should contact our data protection team at [email protected]. If we fail to respond appropriately, you can direct your concerns to the Information Commissioner's Office.
If you would like to know more about how we use your information, or if for any reason you do not wish to have your information used in any of the ways described in this notice, please inform us.
Contact Westminster City Council's data protection officer at [email protected]
Published: 29 April 2021
Last updated: 19 September 2023