Pay your Council Tax
Find out ways that you can pay your Council Tax and set up a Direct Debit for easier payment online.
Published: 2 December 2020
Last updated: 19 May 2022
Set up a Direct Debit
Before you set up a Direct Debit, please make sure that you have your bank or building society name and account, sort code and branch address available. These details can be found on your bank or building society statement.
Alternatively, phone the Direct Debit hotline on 0343 178 2743.
If you are not the bank account holder, or if more than one person is required to authorise debits on this account, then a paper Direct Debit Instruction should be completed.
How it works
Once your bank or building society have confirmed that a Direct Debit can be paid from your bank account we will ask for the instalments to be collected at the frequency you have chosen.
There are many benefits to paying your Council Tax by Direct Debit:
- the efficiency and security of the scheme is monitored and protected by your own bank or building society
- if the amounts to be paid or the payment dates change, we will notify you at least 14 days in advance of your account being debited
- if we make an error, or one is made by your bank or building society, you're guaranteed a full and immediate refund from your branch of the amount paid
- you can cancel the Direct Debit at any time by writing to your bank or building society - you must send us a copy of the letter
- you can view your balance online - the balance for each year of Council Tax will be displayed separately. If you want to view or pay the balance for more than one year please enter the account reference for each year as shown on the relevant Council Tax notice
We will notify you in advance of the payments for the year and give you at least 14 days notice in writing. We will inform you of any amendments to your payments at least 14 days before the payment is due.
You can help us save money, protect the environment and make your life easier by paying by Direct Debit and receiving your bill electronically.
You can pay by debit or credit card on our 24-hour automated payment line, using your 11 digit account number.
Call us on 0203 77 22 602.
You can pay by cash, cheque or debit card at any bank, or at Post Office branches in the Westminster area only.
Cheques paid at a bank should made payable to Westminster City Council.
Cheques paid at a post office should be made payable to Post Office Ltd.
If you lose your Council Tax bill
If you have lost your Council Tax bill with the account number, call 0343 178 2743. You will be asked a few security questions and your payment will be taken for you.
Request a copy of your bill
Please send your request to [email protected] and we will email your next bill to you in a secure format.
Or write to:
Westminster City Council,
PO Box 165,
Please ensure that you quote your Council Tax reference number when you contact us.
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 0343 178 2743 (Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 6.00pm). The call centre also has a Language Line.
Post: Westminster City Council, PO Box 165, Erith, DA8 9DW
We offer a full translation service from all of our offices. We can also provide documents in alternative formats such as braille, large print and audio.
You can use a free phone to speak to council departments at one of our libraries.
If you are unable to visit our offices because of a disability or if you are a vulnerable person, we can arrange for an officer to visit you at home.