Skip to main content

Child abuse prevention campaign

Guidance on how to help if you’re concerned a child is being harmed or abused.

Published: 16 January 2021

Last updated: 14 July 2022

Due to coronavirus and the Government’s social distancing guidelines, vulnerable children and young people have been increasingly hidden from support services and unable to escape harm or abuse at home.

If something you see or hear doesn’t sit right with you, please act on your concern by reporting it to Children’s Services.

If you’re concerned a child is being harmed or abused, contact Children’s Services on 020 7641 4000 (Westminster) or 020 7361 3013​ (RBKC) 9am to 5pm weekdays.

Outside of these times, contact 020 7641 6000 (Westminster) or 020 7373 3227 (RBKC)

The signs of abuse can be hard to spot. The NSPCC has information on different types of abuse and how to spot the signs, but it's important to remember that every situation is different.

By reporting your concerns, Children’s Services will:

  • listen to your concerns
  • gather information
  • assess the whole picture
  • decide what action to take

If you believe a child is in immediate danger, call the police on 999. If it is not an emergency, you can report a crime or incident online or call 101 to give information to the police.

You can also speak to the NSPCC about your concerns. The NSPCC Helpline offers help, advice and support 24 hours a day by email.

You can contact them at [email protected] or by phone 080 8800 5000 (8am to 10pm Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm at weekends).

Are you a child or young person who needs to talk? Contact Childline for free on 0800 1111 or online via their webchat.

Support for families

Support is always available for families, children and young people. If you need someone to talk to or are looking for parenting or relationship support, visit our Family Information Service.