In April, we closed 32 outdoor playgrounds and three outdoor gyms on our housing estates to help control the spread of COVID-19 and as directed by the government. We know it has been difficult for some families to keep children entertained during the lockdown restrictions while activity areas have been closed.
As of 4 July, outdoor playgrounds and outdoor gyms are open. We have COVID-19 risk assessments in place for these publicly accessible facilities with shared equipment; they are checked and cleaned more regularly but not sanitised or disinfected.
To keep these areas open and safe for everyone to use, we ask that you make sure that you follow government guidance at all times.
Signage is up in these areas to remind users, including supervising adults, how to safely and appropriately use them. Please:
- avoid using facilities when they are busy
- sanitise or wash your hands for 20 seconds regularly, before and after using equipment
- do not use this facility if you or any member of your household has coronavirus symptoms or are self-isolating
- keep a safe distance from anyone outside of your household including when waiting to use equipment
- take any disposable PPE home with you or use the bins where provided
It would help if you took more precautions when you can’t maintain a social distance of 2 metres, such as wearing face coverings, facing away from each other, and minimising the amount of time in contact with others as much as possible.
Please stay mindful of your safety and those around you and help us continue to reduce the transmission of COVID-19.
If you see crowds gathering in these public areas, please telephone the Police on 999. You can make reports to them anonymously.
Go to www.westminster.gov.uk/parks-gardens-and-open-spaces (opens new window) to discover more about parks, gardens, and open spaces in Westminster, including opening times and locations.